- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 cups Fresh Peach Slices (or 3 cans Sliced Peaches)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Ground Cinnamon or Nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add milk to the bowl, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter over butter. DO NOT STIR
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. After bubbling begins, remove from heat.
- Pour peaches over batter. Again, DO NOT STIR.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve cobbler warm or cool.
Adapted from Southern Living June 1997.