- 7 to 8 Yellow Squash, sliced about 1/8” to 1/4″ thick
- 1 Zucchini Squash, sliced about 1/8” to 1/4” thick (optional, but adds color to casserole)
- 2 tablespoons Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, petaled
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 10 Ritz Crackers, crushed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Cook the well salted squash in the oil over medium heat until softened. This may take more than 20 minutes. Place the cooked squash in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much water as you can.
Cook the salted and peppered onion petals in the butter until browned. Add in the squash, sour cream and cheese. Mix together and place in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the squash with the crackers and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.