I have been searching for years, literally over a decade, for the recipe to make a creamy ginger salad. I’ve tried so many and they NEVER turn out creamy enough, sweet enough, and they all tasted just like peanut oil. Yuk! This is especially true about all of the “Benihana copycat” recipes out there.
Today is a monumental day for me, as I finally accomplished my goal! I have mastered the illusive, fruity, creamy ginger salad that is served at Japanese restaurants.
I found was I was looking for…
Ingredients (Yield approx. 2 quarts)
- 1/2 large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Orange, Peeled
- 1 Lemon, peeled
- 1 whole rib (or branch) Celery, rinsed and sliced into pieces
- 70 g. (approx. 4 large 1″ chunks) Pineapple
- 1/2 Apple, peeled and diced
- 100 g. (approx. 4 large 1″ chunks) Cantaloupe
- 1/2 Banana
- 55 g. Fresh Ginger Root, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1/8 cup White Vinegar
- 4 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
Blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate overnight before serving. The longer this sits in the fridge, the better it gets.
Serve over a simple lettuce and carrot salad.